Everyone is welcome to participate in the CyPosium; all you need is a standard web browser with the Flash player plugin and broadband internet connection (and perhaps also an alarm clock!). Then on the day – 12 October – go to the schedule page and click “ENTER” at the correct time to enter the presentation you want to attend.
If you plan to attend, please join the participants mailing list now. We will send important information to this list before and during the CyPosium, and this list will also be the location for any discussions that continue beyond the event. Click here or email firstname.lastname@example.org to join.
how will it work?
Most of the presentations and all of the end-of-block discussions will take place in an online platform called Waterwheel Tap. This is accessed using a web browser by following these steps:
- go to the CyPosium schedule page
- click “ENTER” at the correct time to enter the presentation you want to attend (use the time converter link to find your local time)
- an introduction page for the Tap interface will load in your browser window
- click “ENTER” at the top right of this page
- you can enter a name – your own name or a nickname
- ensure you have your computer’s volume turned up (you may wish to use headphones).
A few of the presentations will use platforms other than the Tap, specifically UpStage, Icecast and Second Life; these will all be accessible via your browser, with links from the schedule page. The CyPosium organisers will help people to move between platforms.
how can I ask a question?
There will be short Q&A (question and answer) sessions at the end of each presentation, and a discussion at the end of each block of three presentations. To comment or ask a question, type into the text input field below the chat window; members of the CyPosium organising team will facilitate and moderate the discussion between presenters and participants and ensure that everyone’s voice is heard.
If you have a technical question, the stage manager will answer it in the chat, or see below for more assistance.
If you experience technical difficulties:
- reload the web page
- if that doesn’t work, quit and restart your browser
- for more assistance, there will be a live chat monitored throughout the CyPosium
- it will not work on iPads as they do not support Flash
- if you are behind a firewall, the port 1935 has to be open for the Tap to work; normally this port is open, but to be sure you can test it following this link: http://water-wheel.net/pages/test_rtmp
The Tap requires the latest Flash Player plugin; most browsers will automatically ask you to update when a new version is released, but if you don’t have the latest version you can download it here.
UpStage also requires the Flash Player plugin, and if you are connecting from an institutional network there may be a firewall that will block access. Click here for more information about firewall ports.
If you have any other questions about participating in the CyPosium, please email email@example.com.